The last week or so, I notice Rochester MN has been in a tie for fifth place on my blog stats for cities from where I get visitors!
Well, guess what? That's where I grew up!
So, if the rest of the readership will indulge me, this is for the Rochester guys.
Who are you guys? Not asking for anything you're not comfortable posting at all -- your discretion only.
Now, I haven't lived there since 1968, and haven't been there since 2001, when the last of my parents died. I'm sure the Rochester of 2009 is different than that of 2001, let alone 1968. But here's a few items and questions:
1) Did the Highway 52 expansion take out the Colonial Motel across from Miracle Mile?
2) Is the Elizabethan Room still a damn cafeteria instead of a first class restaurant?
3) How about the Pinnacle Room -- still a snazzy place? Or the Kahler Coffee Shop?
4) Is there still an Eagles Cancer Telethon?
5) Are Wong's Cafe, the Green Parrot, Huey's Cigar Store and Ebb's Hobby Shop still there?
6) What was the pizza place down the street from Wong's and Ebb's? Still there?
7) How about Lucy Wilder's Bookstore and M.C. Lawler's?
8) Any of you guys belong to Trinity Lutheran Church, or where do you belong?
9) Just Rite Supermarket still there?
and finally, for those of sufficient vintage,
10) Can anyone help fill in the rest of the rap-before-it-was-mainstream jingle for King Leo's?
Just fifteen cents all you ladies and gents
Get a taste filled burger that will light up your eyes.
Want something to eat, something to drink?
King Leo's the place, and what do you think.
Plenty of parking, free ...
I'll be interested in your responses. Hell, maybe someone remembers the product name of Smith-Douglas product that used to advertise on morning KROC all the time. Bugs me that I can remember the whole thing except for sure on the product name. Trell, or something.
Wake up, wake up, the sun is on the rise,
And it's time, it's time, it's time to fertilise!
Increase the yields from your fields,
Watch your profits swell.
You never lose, when you choose,
Smith-Douglas fertiliser, with ????
PS -- other Minnesota cities showing up in the stats are Winona (about 40 miles East of Rochester, by whose bishop I was confirmed), Chanhassen, Edina, Prior Lake, Minneapolis, Cambridge and Alexandria. You guys are welcome to chime in too. Ironically, one of the cities with which Rochester is tied for fifth most frequent city location of readers is Chicago IL, where I was born. We moved to Rochester when I was three though. Oh, and the guy from Innsbruck -- I loved my time there! As long as I could make it back to the Maximilianstrasse, I wasn't lost!
+ Samuel, Judge and Prophet + - 20 August, Old Testament [image: Samuel and Eli]Samuel was the final Old Testament judge. Besides Deborah and an anonymous man in Judges 6:7-10, he is the ...
1 month ago