Morgendämmerung, oder, Wie man mit dem Hammer theologirt.
Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit id es semper esse puerum.
Orandum est ut sit mens sana in corpore sano.
Homo sum humani nihil a me alienum puto.
Semper idem sed non eodem modo.

(For what this all means scroll to the bottom of the sidebar.)

VDMA

Verbum domini manet in aeternum. The word of the Lord endures forever.
1 Peter 1:24-25, quoting Isaiah 40:6,8. Motto of the Lutheran Reformation.


Fayth onely justifieth before God. Robert Barnes, DD The Supplication, fourth essay. London: Daye, 1572.

Lord if Thou straightly mark our iniquity, who is able to abide Thy judgement? Wherefore I trust in no work that I ever did, but only in the death of Jesus Christ. I do not doubt, but through Him to inherit the kingdom of heaven. Robert Barnes, DD, before he was burnt alive for "heresy", 30 July 1540.

What is Luther? The doctrine is not mine, nor have I been crucified for anyone. Martin Luther, Dr. theol. (1522)

For the basics of our faith right here online, or for offline short daily prayer or devotion or study, scroll down to "A Beggar's Daily Portion" on the sidebar.

19 December 2007

It really takes 2GB RAM to run Vista Home Premium

On 6 July I bought a new Toshiba laptop to take over from my old one. That has 256 migs of RAM I expanded from 128 running ME and I've used it since April 2001. The new one came with Vista Home Premium and 1GB RAM, the minimum given by Microsoft. It's minimum indeed -- the old one kicked ME along faster than the new one did Home Premium! So after these months of enjoying the new one but using the old one because it's faster (!) my Christmas present to me arrived to-day, two 1GB memory modules from Toshiba Direct. I popped them in -- it's a dual core set up -- and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

Yeah, there's a Real Lutherans Use Mac faction out there, and in the best of all possible worlds I concede Mac is better, but in this world I've caved and use IBM compatibles like about 90% of the computing world. Just like I used Netscape until Explorer became unavoidable without compatibility issues. And it's a first for me -- I'm generally at the end of a Microsoft product cycle, running 3.11 well into 95, 95 past 98 to nearly through ME, and ME clean through XP (which we have at work so I do know it). Now I'm at the beginning, and I'm ready. horror stories, updates and all.

But lemme tell ya, if you buy a PC with Home Premium, either make sure it has 2GB RAM or be ready to expand to 2GB, because 1GB will run it like Microsoft says but it's slow, slow, slow, to the point of not even being able to keep up with typing! And for those thinking of Home Basic, a friend of mine at work said his wife got a new computer with that and the Microsoft stated minimum of 512 to run it, and had the same experience until upgrading RAM to a gig. Makes me wonder how much of the reported unpopularity of Vista is due to simply running it with what seem to be the inadequate RAM minimums given by Microsoft.

4 comments:

Mike Baker said...

"Real Lutherans Use Mac"

...well, not even real Lutherans are perfect. Fortunately for them, there is no divine command that you requires that you pick the best OS. =P

As one of those filthy PC minions, I stand behind your support of the evil establishment.

There are just things that you can do with a PC that you can never push a MAC to do. They are compatable with everything, just as stable, and easier to repair. This is why PCs beat MACs in most "like-for-like" tests (like the televised comparison that The Gadget Show test had in the UK for example.)

But the real beauty of a PC is not what it does out of the box, but what an expert does with it once it is on his desk. The PC is the Honda Civic of elite computing... and the sales prove that. I'm not computer genius either so it is not that hard to overhaul a machine.

When properly maintained, equipped, and protected, nothing beats a PC. I have shown Mac users what a real PC can do in the past. They are usually surprised and a little envious.

As to Vista... I think that the majority of it has to do with the popularity of XP. I am sure the system requirements have something to do with it, but most PC users I know have never even tried a Vista demo. That is not a slam against Vista, but the greatest compliment the computing world could ever give XP.

I have no desire to get an upgrade because XP remains a fantastic OS. For most people, it is a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Past Elder said...

I think the day of "must have" new generations has largely passed, at least with respect to present devices like computers, cell phones, televisions, etc. They have all gotten to where they can do pretty well what most users want them to do.

Contrast when the first colour TVs came out, the first hi-fis and stereos, when 95 appeared after 3.11, when digital took over from analogue cells, and everyone wanted the new thing right away. (All of which I remember, yikes.)

My 2001 Toshiba still does what I want a computer to do, including posting this response, and the only reason I upgraded is marketing, since fewer and fewer of the newer software supports ME.

I use XP all day at work and it's fine, and the IT guys tell me there is no rush to go Vista. I like Vista and it's really fun and pretty, but does it add a real jump in what computer use is to me, as the move from earlier technologies I mentioned above did -- no.

LPC said...

OK Mike, I concede - it is adiaphora to use Mac.

LPC

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
might , perhaps very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I started to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct partner who uses your money in a right way - that`s it!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://nehopuhav.s-enterprize.com/obokev.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to become rich